Welcome to Dhamma Giri - Vipassana International Academy
In order to apply, applicants should fulfill the following criteria -
- Medical Fitness certificate taken within 5 days prior to the course, stating that applicants have no Covid-19 symptoms and also do not have other illnesses.
- Family support to join the course.
- Students having Age between 20 to 65 years without comorbidities should apply only.
- Ability and willingness to maintain self hygiene during the course and follow safety guidelines during your stay at the centre.
- Willingness to co-operate with Management in any situation & ready to leave campus if so advised. The participation in the course, travel and stay at the Center is solely at the participant’s discretion and at own responsibility only. Management will not be responsible for any adversities.
- No pregnancy. Female students having pregnancy should not apply.
- Ability to manage private vehicle to reach the centre and return to home after completion of course.
- Students shall be accommodated in a single room only.
Note: Only confirmed students are permitted to enter the centre premises.
Dhamma Giri, meaning ‘Hill of Dhamma’, is one of the world’s largest meditation centres and the main centre of a rapidly growing global Vipassana organization. It is dedicated to the teaching of Vipassana Meditation as taught by S.N. Goenka in the tradition of Sayagyi U Ba Khin.
What is Vipassana?
Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation. It was taught in India more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for universal ills, an Art of Living.
Vipassana is the process of self-purification by self-observation. One begins by observing the natural breath to concentrate the mind. Then, with a sharpened awareness, one proceeds to observe the changing nature of body and mind and experiences the universal truths of impermanence, suffering and egolessness. This truth-realization by direct experience results in mental purification.
The technique is a universal remedy for universal problems and has nothing to do with any organized religion or sectarianism. It can be freely practiced by anyone without conflict due to race, community or religion, and will prove equally beneficial to one and all. You can find out more about the technique here.
The following Video Discourse by S. N. Goenka (about 19 minutes) provides a short explanation of the technique of Vipassana meditation:
To learn Vipassana meditation one needs to develop one's own experience during a residential ten day course. Courses are held throughout the year at Dhamma Giri. Courses are also held in various locations throughout India and many countries around the world.
To understand the prerequisites for course attendance and to apply for a course in at Dhamma Giri please consult the Course Information Page and the associated instructions.
According to the tradition of pure Vipassana, courses are run solely on a donation basis. Donations are accepted only from those who have completed at least one ten-day course with S.N. Goenka or one of his assistant teachers. Someone taking the course for the first time may give a donation for future courses on the last day of the course or any time thereafter.
- In case of any issue related to your course: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In case of any issue related to center or management: email@example.com
Dhamma Giri is situated in the town of Igatpuri which is 45 km away from Nashik and 136 km away from Mumbai, on Mumbai-Agra Highway. It is well connected by central railway line. Geographically it is situated 20 N latitude and 74 E Longitude and altitude of 599 m above mean sea level. For more information on Dhamma Giri visit The Centre Page.